Electromagnetic forces acting between the stator and eccentric cage rotor
No Thumbnail Available
Doctoral thesis (article-based)
Unless otherwise stated, all rights belong to the author. You may download, display and print this publication for Your own personal use. Commercial use is prohibited.
Report / Helsinki University of Technology, Department of Electrical and Communications Engineering, Laboratory of Electromechanics, 69
AbstractElectromagnetic forces act between the rotor and stator when the rotor is performing eccentric motions with respect to the stator. The aim of this research was to study the charactarestics of the forces and develop the tools to calculate these forces accurately and as quickly as possible. A new method, called the impulse method, is developed into the finite element analysis of the electromagnetic field to calculate the forces for a wide whirling frequency range by one simulation. The idea of the impulse method is to move the rotor from its central position for a short period of time. This displacement excitation disturbs the magnetic field and, by doing this, produces forces between the rotor and stator. Using spectral analysis techniques, the frequency response function of the forces is calculated using the excitation and response signals. The impulse method is based on the assumption of the spatial linearity of the force. The impulse method is utilised in the analysis of the rotor eccentricity. The spatial linearity of the force and the effects of the circulating currents and saturation on the forces are studied herein. The field of investigation is enlarged from the cylindrical whirling motion to the conical motions of the rotor. The modelling of the conical motion requires that the axial variations of the magnetic field be taken into account. This is done by multislice finite element analysis.
induction motor, electromagnetic force, finite element analysis, impulse method, eccentricity, whirling motion
- Tenhunen, A. and Arkkio, A., 2001. Modelling of induction machines with skewed rotor slots. IEE Proceedings - Electric Power Applications, Vol. 148, No. 1, January 2001, pages 45-50. [article1.pdf] © 2001 IEE. By permission.
- Tenhunen, A., 2001. Finite-element calculation of unbalanced magnetic pull and circulating current between parallel windings in induction motor with non-uniform eccentric rotor. Proceedings of Electromotion'01. Bologna, Italy, 19-20 June 2001, pages 19-24. [article2.pdf] © 2001 by author.
- Tenhunen, A., Holopainen, T. P. and Arkkio, A., Impulse method to calculate the frequency response of the electromagnetic forces on whirling cage rotors. IEE Proceedings - Electric Power Applications, accepted for publication. [article3.pdf] © 2003 by authors and © 2003 IEE. By permission.
- Tenhunen, A., Holopainen, T. P. and Arkkio, A., 2003. Spatial linearity of unbalanced magnetic pull in induction motors during eccentric rotor motions. COMPEL: The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 4, accepted for publication. [article4.pdf] © 2003 by authors and © 2003 Emerald. By permission.
- Tenhunen, A., Holopainen, T. P. and Arkkio, A., 2003. Effects of saturation on the forces in induction motors with whirling cage rotor. Proceedings of Compumag'03, Vol. II. Saratoga Springs, NY, USA, 13-18 July 2003, pages 66-67. [article5.pdf] © 2003 by authors.
- Tenhunen, A., Holopainen, T. P. and Arkkio, A., 2003. Effects of equalizing currents on electromagnetic forces of whirling cage rotor. Proceedings of IEMDC'03, Vol. 1. Madison, WI, USA, 1-4 June 2003, pages 257-263. [article6.pdf] © 2003 by authors.
- Tenhunen, A., Benedetti, T., Holopainen, T. P. and Arkkio, A., Electromagnetic forces of the cage rotor in conical whirling motion. IEE Proceedings - Electric Power Applications, accepted for publication. [article7.pdf] © 2003 by authors and © 2003 IEE. By permission.
- Tenhunen, A., Benedetti, T., Holopainen, T. P. and Arkkio, A., 2003. Electromagnetic forces in cage induction motors with rotor eccentricity. Proceedings of IEMDC'03, Vol. 3. Madison, WI, USA, 1-4 June 2003, pages 1616-1622. [article8.pdf] © 2003 by authors.