A deep learning method for the prediction of focused waves in a wave flume

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Conference article in proceedings
This publication is imported from Aalto University research portal.
View publication in the Research portal
View/Open full text file from the Research portal
Date
2023-08-09
Major/Subject
Mcode
Degree programme
Language
en
Pages
11
Series
Proceedings of the 12th International Workshop on Ship and Marine Hydrodynamics, Volume 1288, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering
Abstract
Rogue waves pose a significant risk to marine safety, emphasizing the need to accurately predict their occurrence in the open ocean. However, the complexity of their evolution, which may involve nonlinear physical phenomena such as wave-wave interaction and modulation instability, makes this task challenging. Currently the reconstruction of rogue waves involves generating focused waves through the superposition of different spectral components of irregular waves that are in phase at the focusing point. Despite its effectiveness, this approach is limited. The paper introduces a deep learning method based on Long short-term memory (LSTM) to predict focused waves generated in a Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) flume in the time domain. The model is trained on 60% of the generated wave time series, with the remaining 40% used for both validation and testing. The results demonstrate that the proposed method can assist with the prediction of focused waves at various observation points, indicating its potential as a promising approach for predicting rogue wave behaviour in the ocean.
Description
Keywords
Other note
Citation
Zhang, M, Tavakoli, S & Hirdaris, S 2023, A deep learning method for the prediction of focused waves in a wave flume . in S Hirdaris & D Wan (eds), Proceedings of the 12th International Workshop on Ship and Marine Hydrodynamics . vol. 1288, 012007, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 1288, Institute of Physics Publishing, International Workshop on Ship and Marine Hydrodynamics, Espoo, Finland, 28/08/2023 . https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/1288/1/012007